Our lungs are unable to break down potential hazards we breathe in. The air-sack tissue of the lungs and blood capillaries are meshed closely together in order to efficiently and quickly absorb oxygen into the blood stream. Many airborne particulates and gases are so small that they can easily be absorbed into the lung tissue.
2. Volume of indoor particulates
- God has designed cleansers within the forces of nature, but we live in a sealed indoor environment for comfort. Those natural cleansers are not inside to kill germs or breakdown particulates and gases, resulting in a build up of toxic soup.
- According to the EPA, indoor air is 2-5 times more polluted than outdoor air, sometimes up to 100 times.
- House dust – 80% of dust is dead human skin flakes and the remainder is a combination of animal and human dander, animal and human hair, insect part, insect and dust mite feces, paint flakes, building material particles, clothing and carpet fibers. These are not a big health threat because of their size. They affect us when we have an allergic response to them.
- Fine particulates - 98.5% of particle count is fine. They are so small that several thousand of them could fit on the period at the end of a sentence. These are a big health threat because they enter into the blood stream.
- Batteries of scientific studies have linked fine particulate matter with premature death, respiratory related emergency room visits, aggravated asthma, acute respiratory symptoms, chronic bronchitis, shortness of breath
- California, studies have consistently linked the daily air quality index to emergency room visits for heart attacks and death
Many bacteria and viruses are found in water and soil, but have never been airborne until we created an artificial indoor environment for comfort. These now can become deadly pathogens, i.e Legionaires disease.
5. Volume of Air
- The average person breathes up to 22,000 times a day (children are 3x that of adults) It can also be said that the average person in a consumes about 2 pounds of food, 4 pounds of liquid, and 2000 gallons of air!
- Even low level contaminants can damage the body based on the sheer volume of air we take in!
- As toxins accumulate in our bodies, it weakens our immune system, making us more susceptible to pathogens.
- Remember this, breathing low level toxins over a long period of time, creates the greatest risk to our health. It falls below the radar!
Contact Della Powell directly for an IAQ Evaluation and Interview or information about quality air purification for your home or office.